Who We Are ...
U2 Can Speak Toastmasters is a company club that meets weekly on Thursdays at lunchtime at Raytheon in Dulles, Virginia. We provide a friendly atmosphere for acquiring and practicing public speaking skills which aid in giving business presentations, answering on-the-spot questions with finesse, and feeling comfortable in front of an audience. Our club also offers plenty of Leadership Opportunities which will help you become a better leader and/or manager.
Sound like something you can benefit from? We are always looking for new members. Please drop us a line using the Join Us form to the left, give one of the officers a call or drop by a meeting as a guest. We will tell you all about Toastmasters, and how you can join the fun!
Where We Are ...
Raytheon Company, 22110 Pacific Blvd Sterling, VA 20166 [Map]
News and Events ...
Hello and welcome!
We are meeting online!
Guests - To request a visit to our club, please fill in the Contact Form by Wednesday evening.
We will let you know all about our club and how to visit us at our online meeting.
Members: Please RSVP and volunteer for roles
Upcoming Meetings and Events
- Thursdays - Regular meetings at noon (except when noted)
- (Beyond the Club) - Saturday, December 2nd 8:30 am - 12:00 pm (in person) - In-Person TLI
George Mason University (Fairfax), Merten Hall
Includes Officer Training and Electives:
9 am: In-Person Speaking Skills We Don't Learn on Zoom or President, Secretary, VPE, or VPM
10 am: Pathways for Basecamp Manager (BCM), or SAA, VPPR, or Treasurer
11 am (Choose one):
-Pathways Engagement for Members
-The Path to Distinguished Toastmaster
-Establishing a Club Member Mentoring Program
-3 Essential Factors in Successful Clubs
- December 28th - No Meeting - Happy Holidays!
- Other District 29 Events District 29 Calendar Most events are virtual or hybrid
We are: U2 Can Speak, Club 8224 in Area 54/Division E/District 29
Last updated 11/27/2023
2023-2024 Leadership Team
All officers are here to support you, the member.
Congratulations to our recently elected club officers for the 2023-2024 Toastmasters year.
The current Toastmasters year runs from July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024.
2023-2024 U2 Can Speak Club Officers:
- President: Maya
- Vice President Education: Javed*
- Vice President Membership: Dave
- Vice President Public Relations: Alok
- Secretary: Jennifer*
- Treasurer: Neena
- Sergeant-at-Arms: Versie
- Immediate Past President: Andy
* Member of Education Committee
The Club Officers, Area 54, Division E and District 29 Leaders are all here to help you meet your communication and leadership goals.
Achieving your goals contributes to the club meeting the goals set by Toastmasters International for a healthy club.
Our club has been a Select Distinguished or President's Distinguished Club many times and we plan to achieve that again this year!
Business Meeting - Each club meeting contains a Presiding Officer section where the business meeting is held.
If there is quorum, members can vote on routine business.
Please let the officers know if you would like to add items to the business meeting agenda.
Beyond the Club
There is always something going on in Toastmasters beyond our club meeting. Below are some upcoming events.
(You may need to scroll for District 29 News events).
All events are optional, attend if you wish
- Saturday, December 2nd 8:30 am - 12:00 pm (in person) - In-Person TLI
George Mason University (Fairfax), Merten Hall
- Various dates - Toastmasters Leadership Institute (TLI) online
Past Events: International Convention in the Bahamas
Many events occured during the convention, including the World Champion of Public Speaking - Find 2023 videos on YouTube
Check each event to see if virtual or in-person
Congratulations to Dave K, for going beyond the club at the Fall Contest!
District 29 Contest Winners
See Affiliated Clubs below for some clubs our members are also part of or use the
Find a Club search. If you change the zip code, select Search Option: Open Clubs.
Other Events: District 29 Calendar
Roles and Online Tips
As members, we can all do our part to help the meeting be successful by: coming to meetings regularly, RSVP'ing, and asking your mentor if you need help with a role.
Toastmasters provides guides for Club Meeting Roles. We also have a U2 Can Speak guide for what to do when you are the Toastmaster of the Day - please ask the VPE if you haven't received it.
How Roles are Chosen
Roles are assigned using a combination of Vice President Education (VPE) scheduling and member self-assignment on our website (in Members Only->Meeting Schedule).
If you see an empty speech slot or role within the upcoming month it is up for grabs. Certain roles are necessary for the speech to be considered official (Timer, Evaluator).
To decide which role you should take next, click on your name in Current Members.
Choose a role that has 'Never' for new members or the highest number of "Weeks Since".
(If the number is negative, you are already scheduled in that role for an upcoming meeting.)
We encourage you to give a speech about every other month and put yourself on the schedule ahead of time so you can start preparing. If you always have a speech in-the works, you can jump in when an opening comes up.
Toastmaster of the Day
Each week, the Toastmaster of the Day (TMOD) will be filling unassigned roles using RSVPs and the steps below. This occurs behind the scenes prior to the meeting.
We know things come up at the last minute, so as a group we roll with the role changes, but please try to help out the TMOD!!
To fill a slot when you are the TMOD or find a replacement for your role if you can't make it:
- For Speakers, contact TMOD. TMOD contact VPE Team (Javed, Jennifer) to see if there is a backup speaker list
- For AH Counter/Timer, first look for new members who have Last Time in Role as "Never"
- For other roles, check Role History for longest number of "Weeks Since"
Avoid asking members who have marked themselves as "Will Miss". However, "No RSVP"s are fair game, contact them and ask if they will come and take the role.
Some tips for online meetings when video is allowed:
- Check your email for the meeting link. For events, check the District 29 website or ask an officer
- Please mute when you aren't speaking unless the speaker asks otherwise - press and hold the spacebar in Zoom to briefly unmute
- Switch between Gallery View (Brady Bunch squares) and Speaker View (focuses on the person talking) in the upper right corner
- To show applause when muted, wave your hands
- Laugh and smile if you appreciate the humor
- Pin the speaker or timer to keep them in the active window
- Enable the chat window (at the bottom of your screen)
- Please do not chat to everyone while someone is speaking, unless the speaker asks for feedback. It takes the focus away from the speaker. Chat directly to the Toastmaster of the Day or an officer if you have need something immediately for the meeting
- If you need to move around, try to wait until a speaker finishes and then disable your video
- Be aware that speakers may ask to be recorded. If you do not wish to be recorded, disable your video as an audience member and make it clear in meetings
- Some online events, such as District contests and trainings may have a group picture at the end - it is your choice to enable your video...but be ready if you want to be included. Recommend business casual or professional dress (at least on top!)
MANY TOASTMASTERS CLUBS ARE STILL MEETING ONLINE
As a member or guest of Toastmasters, you are welcome to visit other clubs. Although the program is the same, each club has their own personality and unique culture.
Before visiting, please contact the club to find out any schedule changes, site requirements and language (not all are in English).
See their club website for contact information. Usually found in Meeting Information/Directions or Contact Us.
Many clubs are holding online meetings.
The clubs below are affiliated with our members but there are many, many others in the area and 14,700+ worldwide!
Other clubs nearby: Find a Club - Select Search Option: Open Clubs
PLEASE CONTACT THE CLUB TO CHECK FOR AN ONLINE MEETING If you'd like Jennifer to introduce you, please let her know
- Tuesday evening Tech Toast
2nd & 4th Tuesdays 7-8:30 pm - Reston area (online only for now)
Frequently ends after just an hourP
Introvert friendly - Community Club
- (also Thursday lunchtime) Ashburn Professional Speakers (APS) P
2nd & 4th Thursdays (except 1st & 3rd Thursdays in November/December)
12-1 pm - Verizon in Ashburn S
Open Corporate Club - some members attend APS on 2nd & 4th Thursdays and U2 Can Speak on the other weeks
- Thursday evenings 7:30 - 8:30 pm (1st & 3rd during summer) Lazurus Club
Nearby & hybrid
Hybrid meeting location (also on zoom): Sterling Library S Sterling Blvd a117, Sterling, VA 20164.
- Friday evening Winners Circle
1st & 3rd Fridays 7-9 pm - in Ashburn S
Focus: Round-Robin Evaluations
- Saturday afternoon Speakers Bureau (advanced club, members also have a home club)
Meets 3rd Saturday (monthly) 4-6 pm in Reston
Focus: To Become a Professional Speaker - Community Club
- Sunday afternoon Free Spirits Toastmasters
2nd & 4th Sundays 3:30 pm - in RestonS*
- RTX in Maryland: Rivertech*
2nd & 4th Tuesday at noon - Raytheon in Riverdale, MD
Open Corporate Club
- RTX in California: Wednesdays 2:30-3:30 pm EST (West Coast 11:30 am-12:30 pm)
Fred H. Rohr Club
Meets virtually on California time
Pre-pandemic, this club met at Collins Aerospace Chula Vista (an RTX Business)
- In Tennessee: Asurion Toastmasters D
Was our sister club, moved to Tennessee
Corporate Club - may be restricted to employees only
(our club) U2 Can Speak 2022-2023: S
2022-2023 DCP Results for all District 29 Clubs
DCP Results Key:
P = President's Distinguished Club 2022-2023 (9 or 10 goals)
S = Selected Distinguished Club 2022-2023 (7 goals)
D = Distinguished Club 2022-2023 (5 goals)
P*, S* or D* = met all the goals except minimum number of members
The Distinguished Club Program (DCP) was established by Toastmasters International as a general measure of club success. Each Toastmasters year (July-June) the Distinguished Club Program recognizes club achievements in education, membership growth, club leadership and club communication. These measures are not the whole of what makes a club successful but do reflect activities that indicate a healthy club.
Toastmasters Goals and Resources
All Toastmasters members and clubs are always working toward goals.
Goals are related to Communication and Leadership accomplishments for both individual members, officers and the club as a whole.
Members and clubs who work toward the Toastmasters International goals learn a great deal and are recognized by Toastmasters International in the form of awards.
In 2017, Toastmasters updated the education program. The program is called Pathways. Pathways is designed to help you build the skills you need to communicate and lead. It is comprised of 11 paths that teach more than 300 unique competencies.
Club Goals: Toastmasters International recognizes high-performing clubs through the Distinguished Club Program (DCP).
When the club focuses on meeting these goals, it can help the members meet their individual goals. Reports are updated at least weekly: DCP Report for Club 8224
We are: District 29, Division E, and Area 54, Club 00008224
Links for Potential Members:
Toastmasters Listing for our Club (additional contact info)
How to Join
Pathways First Speech - Ice Breaker Fast Track
Links for New Members:
New Member Orientation
The Navigator (26 page pdf)
Paths and Projects (thanks District 4!)
District 29 Pathways Information
Club Meeting Roles
Reference documents (Toa Payoh Central Club)
How To Documents
Summary of Pathways Levels
Pathways Progress for Our Members
Links for Members Who Joined Before October 2017: Traditional Program Links
Links Related to Club and District Leadership
Club Leadership Tools
Club Leadership Handbook
(Download) Distinguished Club Program (DCP) and Club Success Plan
Distinguished Club Program (DCP) Report
Resources (from District 29)
Club Constitution and Bylaws
Matthew's Value Added Reports
Gates of Excellence - Toastmasters Meeting Cookbook
Pat Johnson Corporate Clubs
Inclement Weather/Attendance Conflicts
Note: In the event of inclement weather or other reasons, the club may need to cancel the meeting. The decision will be made by 10:30 am Thursday morning. Please check your email for updates.